About Me

My photo
I often have a lot of thoughts floating around in my head and sometimes I like to spew it out into words.

Friday, August 30, 2013

I Just Want to Rant About My Favorite Manga and Anime

Okay, mangas are like my one of my more embarrassing obsessions. I'm not embarrassed that I'm reading it, but I'm embarrassed of my ongoing rants on them which you will know if you ask me anything about a manga I like or didn't like. Seriously. Every single time I read a good manga, I tend to go straight to my diary and just rant on and on about it and just now, while watching Sourcefed's new Anime Club for Fullmetal Alchemist, I couldn't help but want to SCREAM. First thing I must get out of the way and I don't care that the majority of you who hasn't read Fullmetal Alchemist wouldn't understand is that ALPHONSE IS NOT A ROBOT!!! GOD DAMMIT HOW DARE THEY CALL ALPHONSE A ROBOT! NO! JUST NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
And now most of you may skip the rest of this rant because most likely, you guys don't care about me and my manga.
Let me tell those of you who are still interested enough to click on this post, manga, in case you didn't know, it like a Japanese comic book with diverse genres and plots and a huge and diverse fanbase, and no, it is not the same as anime. A lot of the anime tend to based off a manga or a light novel and I have only seen few that are original for anime. The reason why I usually choose manga over anime is because the manga's artwork is usually better and the plot tends to be more complete and detailed and it does not force me to devote 20 minutes of my life to solely watching it. I do usually go for the anime if they are not too lengthy and/or light hearted. The only exception to this rule is Bleach and Soul Eater because those are just too good!

Bleach, I started off with the anime and haven't finished it yet but Soul Eater was one that I started after I read the manga, which is really rare unless I really like the plot and wouldn't mind seeing it all over again, just to get into the action. If I really like a manga, I tend to hunt for the anime, but most of the time, they disappoint me because of either a rushed or incomplete ending or just because they do not stand well against the original. Soul Eater was one of the rushed endings but I loved it until just before then and it still kept me captivated enough to finish it which could be seen as an accomplishment. The only story that I would say was better than the manga original would be Cardcaptor Sakura which I'm sure most of you would have heard of and just to tell you, that anime was AMAZING. All I can remember from my childhood was flicking through the channels to try and catch a showing of it.

Now, I was focusing on Soul Eater mostly because the manga just recently finished and so it is still fresh on my mind, but to tell you the truth, my favorite manga of all time has got to be Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, with xxxHolic following as a VERY close second. In fact, when people ask me what my favorite is I usually mention both. What hooked me onto Tsubasa was that they used the same characters from Cardcapter Sakura which I just LOVED. I swear, it was the best thing I had ever read. In fact, Cardcaptor Sakura was the one that opened me up to both anime and manga because once I started to read Cardcaptor Sakura because before that, I would have never though that I would be one to read manga.

CCS led to to Tsubasa which led me to xxxHolic, its sister manga, and the rest of CLAMP, which is still my favorite mangaka (manga makers) group. One thing that absolutely disappoints me though is that the anime of Tsubasa just screwed everything up. The thing that makes Tsubasa my favorite manga was that is seamlessly made a transition of a great, warm, cute, and charming to a great, heartwarming, and absolutely dark and mindscrewing in just a few epic twists but the anime took those twists out and tried to keep it light hearted! CLAMP made the perfectly understandable choice of cancelling it's contract before the Tsubasa name was dragged into the ruins. This is exactly why xxxHolic takes the spot as my favorite when talking about anime, only challenged by Soul Eater, and recently, Bleach.

This has just been my top favorites but I do have a lot to say on this topic such as why some shojos are good and some are frustratingly crap and why you should be careful when choosing what to read.
My goal for now is to finish watching Bleach and getting started on Attack on Titan as well as some anime that was put on hold while I was busy with other things. This will definitely takes some time as I have to catch up on Youtube videos and keep up with school work but that is an entirely different topic.

Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment